Scholarship Application Tips
Everyone knows that college is getting more and more expensive. You have tuition, room and board, books, and happy hours! Fortunately, one way to offset the costs is through scholarships. You’ll have to put in some time filling out forms and writing essays but it would be silly to not take advantage of free money for nursing school. The video below goes over some of the best tips for successfully applying to scholarships. Obviously, no scholarship is guaranteed but these tips, from an actual nurse in grad school, are sure to give you a let up on the competition.
Finding the Right Scholarship for You
- Community/religious organizations, local businesses, community foundations (you usually have a better chance of winning these because there’s a smaller pool of applicants)
- Your employer or parent’s employer
- High school counselor’s office
- Organizations and associations related to your field of study
Tips Before You Apply for a Scholarship or Grant
- Apply early, the process can take longer than you think and you don’t want to miss a deadline.
- Look for local scholarships.
- Apply even after you are already in school, there are many scholarships for current students, too.
- Get letters of recommendation from coaches, teachers, and bosses.
- Don’t ever pay to apply for a scholarship.
- Scrub your social media
- Make your accounts private or delete any pictures or posts that don’t show you in a good light, contain offensive language or show excessive drinking or partying.
- Don’t overlook small scholarships, a couple of $500 awards can add up fast.
- Proofread your application, check for typos and grammatical errors. Have a friend or teacher proofread your application.
- Writing the essay portion:
- Use personal experiences
- Plan ahead, make an outline
- Proofread, double check for typos, have a mentor or teacher check for errors
- Write the essay specific to each scholarship, don’t just cut and paste the same essay
Sign Up for Nursing News & Updates
Sign up to receive updates from moneyfornursingschool.com. We'll send you important information on how to pay for nursing school, links to scholarships and tips to help you financially prepare for nursing school.