Female NurseMembers of the military receive a number of benefits for their service including tuition assistance. With student loan debt continuing to rise the opportunity to have the military pay for your college is very important. The government offers tuition assistance, the G.I. Bill and loan forgiveness programs and many vets leave the military without incurring college debt.

If you already have an undergraduate degree, or are not done with college and have incurred student loan debt, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness because of your military service. Below are a few military programs to help with loan forgiveness:

The GI Bill is another great way to get money for nursing school.  It’s one of the most useful ways to further your education with help from the government. You can use your benefits up to 15 years after your service ends.

The Gil Bill includes some of the following benefits:

  • Tuition and fees are fully covered
  • There is no need to pay back the tuition benefits
  • A monthly housing allowance is included
  • Benefits can be used with any FAFSA related federal aid
  • $1,000 extra for books and supplies

Parents can also transfer GI Bill benefits to their children. If one of your parents served in the military ask them how the GI Bill can work for you. Learn more here.

You can claim your GI Bill benefits by speaking with your college’s financial aid office. Each school will have a person that works with members of the military and veterans to ensure they get the aid due to them.

Remember that these are not grants or scholarships and you will have to serve in the military to be eligible for these benefits. The financial aid office at your college should be able to help you with questions.

Luckily there are a number of options for active duty military and veterans to help them pay for college. These programs are a great way for the nation to give back to people who serve our country. Veterans now have the opportunity to leave college debt free due to their service.

If you want to utilize one of these programs, and you’re in the military, reach out to the financial aid office at your school or your superior officer to get the proper documentation.

Share this post with your friends